What Is The Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Program (CAMVAP)?
CAMVAP is a program that allows disputes between consumers and vehicle manufacturers to be resolved through binding arbitration. Disputes about alleged defects in the assembly of a vehicle or implementation of the new vehicle warranty are eligible for arbitration under the CAMVAP program.
CAMVAP is available at no charge to the consumer and can be accessed in all Provinces and Territories in Canada.
CAMVAP is an effective way to settle disputes. An independent and neutral arbitrator is assigned to each dispute and makes a decision that is fair to both the vehicle owner and the vehicle manufacturer.
Who Can Use CAMVAP?
CAMVAP is available to owners and lessees of new and used vehicles. Vehicles owned by businesses may be eligible if they meet the program’s eligibility requirements.
How Does CAMVAP Work?
You agree to submit your dispute to an arbitrator for a decision. The arbitrator will hold a hearing where they will listen to both your side and the manufacturer’s side of the dispute. After considering all the evidence presented by both you and the manufacturer, the arbitrator will make a decision that is final and binding.
In some instances, the consumer and manufacturer may be able to settle the dispute before going to arbitration.
What Can CAMVAP Do For Me?
CAMVAP Arbitrators can order the manufacturer to:
- Repair the problem with your vehicle at the manufacturer’s expense,
- Buy your vehicle back,
- Reimburse you for repairs that you have paid for already,
- Reimburse you for out-of-pocket expenses.
The arbitrator may decide that the manufacturer is not responsible for the dispute you have brought forward.
Are You And Your Vehicle Eligible For CAMVAP?
A Quick Check
- Is your dispute with the manufacturer about allegations of a defect in the assembly of your vehicle or how the manufacturer is administering the new vehicle warranty?
- Are you a resident of Canada and was your vehicle originally purchased from a manufacturer authorized dealer in Canada?
- Is your vehicle used primarily for personal or family use? (See our website for more information about business use)
- Is your vehicle from the current or four previous model years?
- Has your vehicle travelled less than 160,000 kilometers?
- Have you followed the manufacturer’s dispute resolution process (check your owner’s handbook)?
- Have you given each the dealer and the manufacturer a reasonable amount of time and opportunity to resolve the problem?
CAMVAP is fast, free, friendly, and final… Can I Go To Court?
As a consumer, the choice is yours. You can file a claim with the courts or you can use CAMVAP, but you can’t do both.
Where Will A Hearing Be Held?
If your case proceeds to a hearing, it will be held in or near your home community.
Need More Information?
If you answered yes to all the questions above you are likely eligible for CAMVAP. Please contact our program administrators at 1-800-207-0685 for more information or visit our website at www.camvap.ca.
You can download our document Is CAMVAP For Me?